Muhsin Muhammad has crafted a legacy well beyond his playing days

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
rj8ggcdrbxxtoydvpycm

"I didn't know any different," Moose Jr. said. "We all have different paths to take, and realizing I could utilize all the tools he has is one thing I've capitalized on, for sure."

But it took a while for Moose Jr. to get that far. His father remembered being in Chicago playing for the Bears and his son not being a natural receiver.

Moose Jr. was in a flag football league when he was around 5 or 6, Muhammad recalled, and couldn't catch well. The younger Muhsin was upset after his first practice, so his mother found a way to help.

"I didn't really know what position I wanted to play. But I know whenever they'd put me at receiver, sometimes I'd drop the ball. So my mom went out and bought me a pack of Nerf footballs and me and my grandfather, along with my mom, we'd throw them every day until I just wouldn't drop anything else. I think that's where the catching started. Everybody thinks I got it from my dad, but I really got it from my mom," Moose Jr. said with a laugh.

Muhammad says he feels like that was the turning point that made Moose Jr. fall in love with football.

"I do remember those times so vividly," Muhammad said. "He was very athletic, but he was kind of like me in that he needed to hone his skills up. But after that, I think he just had a great time learning the game."

And now, as Muhsin III begins his college career, his father finds it surreal to watch his namesake compete.