NFC West Notes from the 2019 NFL Owners Meeting

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
uyeuzutkk3sgeju19sdh

The NFL owners meetings have wrapped up at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix. On Tuesday morning, media had the chance to catch up with head coaches around the league at the annual coaches breakfast.

Kyle Shanahan told a story about Jimmy Garoppolo watching tape with his dad and evaluated the state of the 49ers wide receiver corps. Here’s a look at the hot topics covered by the other three NFC West head coaches.

Arizona Cardinals

A majority of mock drafts have Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray pinned to the Cardinals. Head coach Kliff Kingsbury insists that no decision has been made as of yet on who Arizona will select with the first-overall pick. However, he was exceedingly complimentary of Murray when asked what he likes about the quarterback.

“I guess it’s more, ‘What don’t you like?'” Kingsbury said of Murray per Adam Schefter. “When you watch him play, he can run it, he can throw it. You know, he’s a competitor.

“I don’t know if there’s one thing you can pinpoint. He’s one of the best dual-threat players to ever play.”

The first-year head coach also addressed the rumblings of current quarterback Josh Rosen’s fit in Kingsbury’s system and the speculation of his future in Arizona.

"With the first pick, there is tons of chatter," Kingsbury added. "As a coach and a player, you have to have thick skin. You have to understand what goes on and the circus that comes with this position.

"People have said a lot of things that are misconceptions, if you will. Josh is a tremendous player. I watched him at UCLA. He played his best football in a spread system. Had some similarities to what we do. He's a tremendous thinker, very cerebral, can throw it with anybody. We take a lot of pride in building a system around the quarterback. To say he doesn't fit our system doesn't make sense."