NFL's Virtual Offseason Extended Through May 29

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
dqq7kqmauag615ryfakm

The Cardinals have been conducting this year's offseason program virtually, and that will continue through at least May 29.

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the NFL sent a memo to its teams extending the current arrangement, which had been slated to end Friday.

While some states, including Arizona, are in the midst of opening back up, others with NFL teams are still locked down due to the coronavirus, and keeping everything virtual maintains competitive equity.

All offseason workout programs must conclude by June 26, according to the memo, which puts into question whether there will be any practices before training camp.

Outside linebacker Chandler Jones said the virtual meetings, as opposed to face-to-face contact, have not been much of a hindrance.

"To be completely honest with you, these meetings, they've been going just how they would go at the facility," Jones said. "The criteria, the format -- when it starts everyone is on time. As far as the learning, I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with these apps, but you can put a chalkboard and plays right up here and put it in our face. There are times we go over plays and it's here. This is my ninth OTA, and there's not a huge difference, honestly. I'm learning still."

While veterans may not be losing much from the adjustment, coach Kliff Kingsbury acknowledged that the rookie class could be a step behind early in the season because of the on-field-work deficit.

Wide receiver Andy Isabella said the classwork isn't much different online, but he wishes the on-field portion was available. Isabella is among a group of young players vying for a more prominent role in 2020.

"You'd love to get practices in and be in front of the coaches at all times," Isabella said.

If players are allowed back in team facilities in June, the memo said the NFL would then determine if on-field work would be allowed.

Continue reading...