NFL Draft Day 2 Transcripts - Marty Hurney, Matt Rhule, Yetur Gross-Matos and Jeremy Chinn

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
fuojltmvrg3x8pjyzjrt

Yetur Gross-Matos

Reaction to getting picked by the Panthers

I had some really good discussions with the Carolina Panthers. Some good Facetimes and I felt good about it when I left the combine initially. I knew there was a chance I was going to get selected by the Carolina Panthers. It has been a blessing.

How he improved during his time at Penn State

I think the thing I did the most at Penn State was probably just learning more about football and improving technique wise. I didn't really play a lot of football growing up. Going into high school, I played at a really small high school with not a lot of plays or anything like that. So just becoming more knowledgeable about what I was being asked to do and the things going on around me.

How special this moment is to him considering the tragedies that have occurred in his family

We have all leaned on each other a lot. Celebrating us still being here and being in this moment means everything to us. I know I am freaking excited and I know my family is probably even more excited.

Why he thought that Panthers might take him

Just talking to (Marty Hurney), Coach Matt Rhule, and my position Coach Mike Phair I just felt really good. A lot of conversations, all teams dealing with them in different ways, I remember leaving that phone call thinking you know I felt really good about that one and hopefully it will make me a Carolina Panther and that is exactly what happened.

Describe himself as a player and person

As a player, someone who is always hard working and willing to learn. I am determined to be great. As a person, someone who brings positive energy and life into any locker room, any interaction. I try to conduct myself that way at all times, just carrying that mindset with me in each and everything I do.

Whether he knows Derrick Brown and whether the Panthers shared whether they were planning to target the defensive line in their early selections

They didn't tell me what they were thinking about picking. So it was kind of just lucky that I ended up being the one. I feel extremely blessed to have this opportunity. And Derrick Brown I obviously knew about him and heard about him. I never had a chance to speak to him though. I am looking forward to that as well.

On whether he had a previous relationship with Coach Rhule

I've never spoken to Matt Rhule before. Not during my recruiting process or anything like that. My dad just told me he offered me when he was the head coach at Temple and I didn't even know. I guess he's had his eye on me for awhile.

His approach to meeting expectations

My mentality is to show up and work. To show up and give my hardest each and every day. Try to be great. I know they're going to get everything out of me. At the end of the day, I have no lack of confidence in what that's going to be.

Anyone particular he's excited to sack this season

I mean... I think probably everybody would say the GOAT Tom Brady. I want to sack Tom Brady. There's no one else you'd really want more than Tom Brady.

How it feels to make it to the next level

It's incredible. These are the guys I've been watching on TV since I was a little kid. Now that I'm finally here, I know the work is just beginning even more. I'm ready. This is the best feeling I've had probably my whole life.

Which trait stands out most for him most as a defensive end

Athletically, that's where you find me being a lot different from a lot of other people that I was being compared against. I've just always been a tremendous athlete and thankfully through my hard work I was able to improve that. So athletic-wise, and technique-wise like I talked about earlier, I feel like I'm climbing this upward hill and I'm nowhere near the top still. There's more work to be done.

Whether or not the coaches see him exclusively on the edge or inside as well

I don't know yet.

How his versatility to play inside and outside helps him

I have plenty of experience rushing inside and outside in college. I was asked to move all around the front four. I have no problem going inside or outside. I have no issue with it preference wise. Wherever they need me to be, that's where I'll be at.

Plans to celebrate tonight

I am just looking forward to getting over there and hugging my family. That's my focus right now.

How the tragedies he's faced earlier in life have shaped him as a person

I take those things and they have put the rest of my life in to perspective. It's just about taking advantage of another opportunity, every second of every day. Give your best and love the people around you. Me and my family are a very close group. That's how it's affected me on and off the field and I'm just happy to be here in this moment with these people and I can't wait to celebrate.

How he's been working out

I've actually talked to my old training staff over at Penn State and they've given me a lot of workouts to do each and every day. I connected with my longtime trainer Sudan Ellington, he's been working me out, so I'm staying in great shape. There is a little creativity going on, running old conditioning tests and stuff like that every other day. Just doing whatever I can to stay in shape.

Player he models his game after

You're not really watching much football growing up. Even now, I try to focus on myself and being the best player I can be and obviously, looking to guys who are in the position that you want to be. JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul) I watched JPP a lot when I was young, more than anybody else I should say. That would be the guy, I kind of want to take from his game.

If he's spoken to Coach Franklin yet

Yes, Coach Franklin has been texting me a lot. I called him the other day. When I finish up with the interviews, I'm going to give him a call.

Relationship with Penn State defensive line coach Sean Spencer

I view him as a second father to me. That guy, he's an extension of my family in every aspect. I have so much love for that guy. I'd do anything for him, absolutely. As a coach, he was phenomenal. As a mentor, even better. I couldn't be asked to be put in a better situation than playing for him.

Matt Rhule recruiting him while he was coaching at Temple

Yes, he said he offered me at Temple when I was in high school. I didn't realize that Matt Rhule was the coach back then.

If he's talked to Rhule about it yet

I have not...probably should've committed. (joking)

If he wore crocs tonight

I've got the Crocs with me right now. I've got all my favorite jibbitz in it too. Got my whole family a bunch of crocs, so everyone's croc'd out. They're my favorite shoe.

What started the obsession with crocs

I just put them on and I was like I don't really want to wear anything else. I feel like this is me in a shoe. It's just always been a part of my fit.