NFL100 Series: Top 10 Vikings Comeback Wins

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
sm52qxozai1i4svkjkkw

EAGAN, Minn. – As part of the NFL’s celebration of its 100th season, Vikings.com is producing 10 different top 10 lists over the course of the 2019 season to help commemorate 100 special moments in franchise history. We’ll cover legendary players, rivalry games and miraculous moments alike.

First things first, Drew Pearson pushed off.

Several years before the implementation of instant replay, and decades before this first year of quasi-challengeable pass interference, the Cowboys receiver got away with a visible and vehement shove before catching a game-winning, 50-yard touchdown pass from Roger Staubach in the Divisional Round of the NFC Playoffs.

The play occurred at Metropolitan Stadium on Dec. 28, 1975, and birthed the term “Hail Mary,” a prayer flung skyward when time is limited. The play has helped and hurt the Vikings over the years.

That loss remains a burr in the saddle for Vikings fans, but against that backdrop, we thought we’d highlight comeback wins that went in Minnesota’s favor.

Note: When we planned this particular list for this week, we didn’t expect the Vikings to be bouncing back from a stinger like the one they suffered in Kansas City on Sunday.

For this list, I sorted through all of the comebacks in Vikings history and submitted 12 games for consideration. Vikings.com’s Eric Smith , Lindsey Young and I awarded 10 points for a first-place vote, nine points for second place, and so on. The two games with the fewest points were left out of the top 10.

Two of the top 10 occurred in playoff games, while others secured a postseason berth or helped put wind in the team’s sails.