No Mexico City For Cardinals After NFL Cancels International Games

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
a7i7i4zubuozpszylx4q

The Cardinals will not be playing a game in Mexico City in 2020.

The team had been slated to "host" a game there it had been announced. The NFL requires teams that have been awarded a future Super Bowl to surrender a home game to an international venue. The Cardinals and State Farm Stadium will host a Super Bowl after the 2022 season.

But the coronavirus has changed the landscape of the 2020 season, and Monday morning the NFL announced that the five planned international games -- four in London and the one in Mexico -- have been cancelled.

"After considerable analysis, we believe the decision to play all our games domestically this season is the right one for our players, our clubs, and all our fans in the US, Mexico and UK," NFL executive vice president, chief strategy and growth officer Christopher Halpin said in a statement. "We greatly appreciate the support of our governmental and stadium partners in Mexico and the United Kingdom, who all agree with this decision, and we look forward to returning for games in both countries in the 2021 season."

Monday's news did not clarify if the Cardinals or any of the other teams announced to be hosting games in London -- the Jaguars, Falcons or Dolphins -- would automatically be the home game internationally in 2021.

The Cardinals had previously hosted a game at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City in 2005. The schedule, which is expected to be released later this week, will now include eight regular-season home games at State Farm Stadium.

"I was just talking to my agent, (he said) 'Y'all got a game in Mexico City,' and I was like, 'I'm looking forward to it,' " Cardinals fourth-round rookie defensive lineman Rashard Lawrence said. "That's kind of a bummer. We're just looking forward to getting through this pandemic, getting through these next days and getting through better days. Whatever the NFL has to do to make the necessary adjustments, we've got to do that."

Continue reading...