NOTEBOOK: Zimmer Connects with Cousins’ Past, Talks Griffen’s Future

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
vdugf8jzr2cahmoj4zq5

Cousins passed for 4,298 yards, the second-highest single-season total in franchise history, in 2018. He also became the first player in NFL history to pass for at least 4,000 yards and 30 touchdowns, complete at least 70 percent of passes and throw 10 or fewer interceptions in a season (Drew Brees finished 2018 with 3,992 yards, 32 touchdowns, a 74.4 completion percentage and five interceptions in starting all 15 of the games he played).

Cousins had seven games with a passer rating of 100 or higher, including two of the final three games of the season with Stefanski as interim offensive coordinator, but he had four games with a passer rating lower than 85.0.

Trevor Siemian, who backed up Cousins but didn’t play in the regular season, signed with the Jets, leaving Kyle Sloter as the only quarterback on the Vikings roster.

Sloter was signed as an undrafted free agent by Denver in 2017 when Kubiak was a senior personnel advisor for the Broncos. The Vikings lured him to Minnesota’s practice squad, then then signed him to the active roster that September.

He hasn’t played in a regular-season game yet.

“We’re looking at everywhere. We’d like to have a veteran, if we could, but we’re not going to rule out bringing in a rookie or Kyle, either,” Zimmer said. “Any of them. But it’s something we have to look for, yeah.”

The meeting with Everson Griffen

Everson Griffen restructured his contract earlier this month, showing his commitment to the Vikings organization that helped support him when he needed to step away from football for a bit last season.

The defensive end is the team’s longest-tenured player, having been drafted in the fourth round in 2010, and has flourished since becoming a starter in 2014 under Zimmer and defensive line coach Andre Patterson.

Zimmer and Patterson spoke with Griffen before the three-time Pro Bowler re-worked his deal and helped the salary cap-strapped Vikings for 2019.

“It was actually, I just kind of wanted to see where he was at, what he was thinking,” Zimmer explained when asked about the meeting. “He wanted to visit with me, and I wanted to visit with him, so it was real easy. We talked about a lot of different things, really, that I’m not going to discuss, but he was in a great frame of mind, he was excited to get back. I think he felt like this organization was the best place for him, and I agreed with him. I [think it is], too.”

Griffen has recorded 49 of his 66.5 career sacks since 2014.