Now 'Millions Of Miles' Better, Andy Isabella Awaits His Shot

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
l3no0v91uzucyzmodwof

There are three notable obstacles keeping Andy Isabella from seeing the field consistently for the Cardinals: DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk.

If the second-year receiver can build off Sunday's standout performance against Washington, he may barge through anyway.

Isabella had two catches for 67 yards in the 30-15 victory and looked more at ease than at any point during a difficult rookie season in 2019.

"I've come millions of miles from last year," said Isabella, who has played 28 snaps on offense through two games. "I'm way more comfortable. Really way more confident knowing I can play in this league."

Isabella had a 54-yard reception in the first half, showing off his blazing speed by getting five yards behind the deepest Washington defender. He said the Cardinals worked on the play all week, and hopes producing like that will lead to more opportunities in the future.

"Hopefully as time goes on, my role will start to get bigger and bigger," Isabella said. "As time goes on, we'll start seeing more of (both deep and shorter routes). It just comes with being in the game the whole time, instead of just having those couple special plays in there."

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Isabella's display in Week 2 was a continuation of recent improvement.

"Andy's progressed really well from last year," Kingsbury said. "He had a tremendous camp. He has great speed that we've got to be able to utilize, and that's on me to continue to incorporate him in the offense and find ways to get him the ball. What you saw on Sunday is what we've seen throughout camp, and hopefully we'll continue to see that."

It's a welcome turn for the former second-round pick, who did not have the type of debut campaign he expected.

"When you come in as a rookie after the draft, you think it's going be easy and you're going to play all (the time)," Isabella said. "It was kind of a wakeup call when I got here. You've got to really work, so I just put my foot down and said, 'I'm not going to let it be like this. I'm going to work hard and show them that I deserve to be on the field.' That's what I'm continuing to do."

Continue reading...