Odenigbo’s Fumble Return Provides Turning Point in Win vs. Chargers

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ebek2mvzpbaduhqsbdrt

“I went to power to make him hold the ball. I reached for the ball and the rest happened,” Hunter said.

The Chargers began the play with the ball at the Vikings 26-yard line. But by the time Hunter knocked it away, the pigskin had rolled back to the Vikings 40.

Ekeler raced back to corral it, only to be brought down by linebacker Eric Kendricks, who kept the play alive by knocking the ball away.

“I was a tackler on that play,” Kendricks said. “I was kind of on the sideline, so I knew he was going to jump and get the ball. I held him by the waist.”

Kendricks wasn’t credited with a forced fumble on the play … much to his chagrin.

“It wasn’t? I feel like he had possession,” Kendricks said. “I waited until he picked it up and then knocked it out.”

Odenigbo, who has missed a chance to get the ball immediately after the fumble, then pounced on the ball at the Vikings 44.

“I saw the ball there and I thought, ‘Alright, I get a second chance.’ I was fortunate enough to pick up the ball,” Odenigbo said.

Hunter’s force had started the play, and now his speed was about to extend it, as he raced downfield and threw a block on left tackle Russell Okung at the Chargers 35.

“I knew there was going to be at least one dude in front of him,” Hunter said. “I saw the dude and ran with all my might to block him. I knew if we blocked him, then Ifeadi would be able to score.”