Overhaul of GMs Across NFL Adds Volatility, Trade Mystique for Vikings & Spielman

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rqzdymhziuq1zhmqskbz

Wait-and-see mode until board unfolds

It is likely the Vikings have a cluster of players they'd be more than happy to bring to Minnesota with the 14th overall pick, see how the rest of the first round shakes out and use that information to shape strategy for Rounds 2-3 on Friday.

When Dalvin Cook didn't go off the board on the opening night of the 2017 NFL Draft, Spielman aggressively vaulted up the board to land the running back who has garnered Pro Bowls in each of the past two seasons.

"I would say, we're at 14 right now, so I think a lot of people will see how the draft board is unfolding as the players come off," Spielman said. "Every time I've been involved in the drafts I've been involved in, most of the time the trade talks — you can talk to people this time right before the draft, but it usually doesn't mean anything.

"A lot of people are going to wait and see what players are on their draft board and if they're willing to move up or down," he continued. "We started our process of going through scenarios. We've looked at scenarios on if a specific player was falling in the top 10, do we go up and get that player?"