Packers' seventh-round picks look to make their mark

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
amyze6dem0rh5vav9nnu

All Scott could do is hope NFL scouts would watch his college film and see his versatility. There also was his landmark performance against Oklahoma last fall, in which he returned an interception 98 yards for a touchdown.

It took him two seasons to crack a deep secondary but made it count. Scott had 82 tackles, 12 passes defensed, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and a sack over his final 21 college games. But would it be enough?

Scott watched the draft from his party at his aunt's house in Dallas but wasn't sure if he'd get that call. Once he did, Scott was ecstatic.

"I was just so discouraged with how everything was going," Scott said. "I was thinking I was going to be a priority free agent, undrafted. I knew I was going to get the opportunity, but everybody wants to hear their name called. That's the dream.

"There were a lot of ups and downs, but when I got that 920-area-code call, that just changed my whole mood. I was just excited to be a Packer."

Meanwhile, Garvin played immediately as a true freshman at Miami (Fla.) and started 24 games. The 6-foot-4, 263-pound defensive end picked up the nickname "Spider" from the Hurricanes' coaching staff because of his length and ability to claw back into a play if he ended up on the ground.