Packers had A.J. Dillon on their radar as a freshman

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yszoxylwhjpqbbt71jof

With Jones' 20-plus touchdown season in 2019, he'll be pricey to re-sign, and it's hard to envision the Packers keeping the dynamic duo together, particularly if Williams wants to seek a top-dog role somewhere.

But Owen stressed Dillon isn't just a draft pick for the future. His body type and running style differ from both Jones' and Williams', and his size could pay dividends in the cold or other bad-weather games.

"He's going to be a great fit in that room," Owen said. I think he'll be a great complement to Aaron Jones and Jamaal. He can take this running game to the next level."

A native of Connecticut who played his high school and college football in Massachusetts, Dillon said Wisconsin is "kind of like home in a way" weather-wise. He also considers Head Coach Matt LaFleur's outside-zone running scheme in his "wheelhouse."

He's been compared, physically speaking, to current NFL rushing champion Derrick Henry, whom LaFleur coached as offensive coordinator in Tennessee two years ago. If he even gets within shouting distance of Henry's production in the NFL, he'll have made the Packers' investment in him worthwhile.

"I like to help my team win," Dillon said. "Whether that's running around people, through people, over people, I'm ready to get it done. I just can't wait."