Packers hopeful David Bakhtiari avoided significant injury

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vyxctjf8hsrktrzqy1es

Buccaneers' defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Tampa Bay's front applied steady pressure, sacking Rodgers more times Sunday (four) than what the Packers allowed through the first four games the season combined (three).

"You've got to give them credit," Rodgers said. "I saw Todd after the game and gave him my respect. I thought they had a really good plan, they executed it really, really well. They did a nice job with their disguise, nice job with their pressures and they were very physical tonight.

"We just didn't match them as well as we have the first four weeks but we'll bounce back from this, I have no doubts about that, and we'll be ready for next week."

A change in motion: The Packers were without Tyler Ervin due to a wrist injury and the versatile running back's absence could be felt on offense.

Through the first four games, Ervin had been a big part of the pre-snap motions and jet sweeps Green Bay has been using to keep defenses on tilt. While the Packers had some success early using running back Aaron Jones in that capacity, Tampa Bay clamped down over the final three quarters.

"I definitely think that complicated some things," said LaFleur of Ervin's absence. "We've got to have a better plan because losing one guy can't have that type of effect on your football team. If it does, then you're probably not doing things the right way.

"So we've got to make sure we again go back to the drawing board as a coaching staff, take a good hard look at everything and make sure that we're asking our players to do things they can do."

Ervin also doubles as the Packers' primary kickoff and punt returner. Second-year receiver Darrius Shepherd filled both of those roles against the Buccaneers, but didn't have a return.