Packers want to ‘get back to us’ on offense

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xhczrmlczg3gy0fnzh01

“Yeah we’d love to get Davante going, but we can’t get away from what’s got us to this point, especially the last 3-4 games before last Sunday,” Rodgers said. “We have to find a way to get those guys involved, get them feeling good.”

Attacking with Jones and Williams on the ground may be the best place to start against a formidable Carolina defense. The Panthers’ biggest statistical weakness is ranking 26th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game (133.4) and 31st in yards per carry (5.1).

Outside of that, the Panthers have some scary numbers.

For one, they lead the league in sacks with 34 and have seven players with at least three sacks through eight games. Another two players have two sacks each. Their pass-rush impact is widespread.

“There’s a lot of different guys they send at you and they are relentless,” LaFleur said of the Panthers’ pass rushers, who are led by Mario Addison with 6½ sacks and rookie Brian Burns with 4½. “They are hard-charging. They do a great job of getting on edges. Their get-off, how aggressive they are – they’re really good. They just send so many different people. It’s just a platoon of different guys coming at you on each and every snap. We’re going to have our work cut out for us.”

The Packers had put together a strong stretch of pass protection, with Rodgers getting sacked just seven times over six games from Weeks 2-7, but more breakdowns have cropped up the last two games.

Rodgers was sacked eight times over the last two games at Kansas City and LA, and while they don’t all fall on the offensive line, the Chargers’ early surge with their edge rushers set a tone last week the Packers never changed.

“They care about it so deeply I’m sure they were bummed out,” Rodgers said of his offensive linemen. “I was bummed out I didn’t get out of a couple of those that I’ve gotten out of at times in the past.

“But, it was a tough day for all of us and I’m confident we’re all going to bounce back. They’re the energy guys for this locker room, and I’m sure they’re ready to get back out there on Sunday.”