Panthers' Player Impact Committee using its platform to promote social justice causes

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
pnkid10jytujen1zg0xt

"Sometimes you have to do certain things outside of your comfort zone to get the attention of others to even try to have these conversations," Manhertz said. "Now, you might have some people that don't want to have the conversation altogether, and that's outside of your control. But for those that want to learn and want to try to understand, it's important and it certainly helps."

But if this moment is to lead to real change, the momentum generated by the current protests across the nation has to be sustained. Weatherly's perspective on that is partially informed by his grandmother, Dianna Johnson, who holds degrees from Harvard and MIT, and worked for former Atlanta Mayor Maynard Jackson on issues related to criminal justice reform.

"We voice our outrage and when it's not heard, and protests happen, and then something is done, and then we're pacified," Weatherly said. "And anyone who has a kid knows, pacifiers aren't solutions, right? It's a temporary fix. So that's why she doesn't think that anything has changed, really, in regards to long-term solutions, something that won't come up in a year won't come up in five years."

But for Weatherly, his grandmother, Manhertz, and Smith, there is reason to be hopeful.

"I told my grandma about the calls and the meetings we have here with the Carolina Panthers and what we have in the works, and she seems generally hopeful, just like me, so I'm excited," Weatherly said.

For now, one tangible step for reform the Player Impact Committee is taking is working on voter registration.

"I was so happy the Panthers brought up voter registration. There's a lot of elections going on like now, in the coming weeks," Weatherly said. "It's about getting people registered and to know that the decisions you make in the booth can affect long-term legislation. So I feel like that's what's next, to put in place templates to help the next six months to a year and then elect the people that can make a positive impact for years to come."

And as the players continue to work on the relevant causes of social justice, Smith set out the players' message to the public in a clear and concise way.

"I really want the people to know that we as athletes, we as Panthers, as professional athletes — we are with you," Smith said. "I want them to know that as a professional athlete, me — Andre Smith — I completely understand the situation. I'm right there along with you fighting the good fight, and I'm not afraid to use my voice or my platform to speak out."