Panthers 2021 Draft Notebook: Nuggets you may have missed from a record-setting weekend

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
kiasyom5dk96brcz2se9

SAFETY FIRST

First-round cornerback Jaycee Horn likes to celebrate big stops on the field with a "seatbelt" dance.

And now he has two pro teammates who know the feeling.

Sixth-round wide receiver Shi Smith played with Horn at South Carolina, so he got the treatment in practice.

"Me and Jaycee, we went at it all the time at practice," Smith said. "If I wasn't in the slot and moving outside, he was probably the one that was guarding me. And even then, they moved him to the slot sometimes to guard me because I'd tear the slot up, but he got the 'seatbelt' on me a couple of times."

Second-round receiver Terrace Marshall Jr. played against Horn in high school and college and has gotten the same treatment.

"Jaycee is a real good defender. I got mad respect for him," Marshall said.

Marshall recalled one high school matchup when the trash talk with some of Horn's teammates wasn't as kind, but his relationship with Horn made theirs different.

"It was pretty much just friendly trash talk," Marshall said. "But I was really talking more negative trash talk to the other teammates. Me and him, we were cool, and we were just out there competing.

"It was just the energy. We knew each other, so at the end of the day between the lines we compete, no friends. We are human too, so we just make sure we are seeing eye to eye."