Panthers begin Week 1 with 'bonus' practice day

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
uozzlbnrexenlczleopb

Now that it's a game week, the Panthers can turn their attention to preparing to defeat an opponent. The Raiders have experienced some turnover, but there are still ways to scout their schemes.

"We'll work off the tape," Rhule said. "Our pro personnel department has done a great job with the advanced scouting and trying to do the best we can."

Regardless, Rhule wants the Panthers to focus on themselves and the things they can control: effort and preparation.

"(Y)ou have to trust in your system, go back, make adjustments on the sideline, and go out and play," Rhule said. "I'm sure that our guys will attack whatever wrinkles are thrown at them."

In the same vein, no one knows much about the Panthers either. That's part of why Rhule has been reluctant to answer questions about his team's schemes. Offensive coordinator Joe Brady and defensive coordinator Phil Snow have called plays elsewhere, but Carolina's specific personnel will make the Xs and Os different.

"I don't think it's a huge advantage. I think it's a small one," Rhule said. "Once the ball is kicked off, there's only so many ways to play offense, play defense."

Rhule has a couple of meaningful connections to the Raiders that dates back to his time at Temple. In his first year as a head coach there, now-Las Vegas general manager Mike Mayock spoke to Temple's players about preparing for the NFL Draft. And Rhule considered Jon Gruden a "mentor from afar," as the Raiders' head coach spent a lot of time advising him — both when Rhule was at Temple and when he had a previous NFL coaching opportunity.

"I really respect Jon Gruden," Rhule said. "I'm very grateful to him. It'll be an honor to take the field with someone that's done everything he's done."

If there's one thing Rhule knows about Gruden, it's that he'll emphasize the run game. Running back Josh Jacobs totaled 1,150 yards and seven rushing touchdowns in 13 games last season. A physical rusher, some thought Jacobs was snubbed for offensive rookie of the year. Meanwhile, Carolina's run defense finished 2019 last in the league, allowing 5.2 yards per carry.

"To me, this is a good opportunity to go out and show how far we've come in defending the run," Rhule said.