Panthers long ago held interest in Bruce Irvin, and feeling was mutual

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
mewwowfckioav6qu5xwt

“Coming out of the draft, I had so many red flags from my past as a kid coming up, being locked up and all that stuff,” said Irvin, who once spent three weeks in juvenile jail. “They (Rivera and Washington) were really positive and kept me motivated, and I’m just happy it came full circle and that I’ll have a chance to play for them.”

The feeling is mutual, for reasons on and off the football field.

“When you get to know him, you quickly recognize that this is a young man that has matured very, very nicely during his time as a player,” Rivera said. “He understands. He gets it.”

And, of course, Rivera is excited about what the Panthers are getting from Irvin the football player.

“He’s a guy who has a tremendous skill set, a guy who has played outside linebacker, drop end, rush end. He’s a guy who can do a combination of things for us,” Rivera said. “He’s most certainly a guy who can attack for us.

“He’s going to be a good fit for us and a good presence on the defensive side.”

Irvin endured some football-related drama this past season, when his role with the Raiders and first-year head coach Jon Gruden shrunk before he was released midseason. But as a result, Irvin got to spend the second half of the season in his hometown with the Falcons before finding a new home Tuesday.

“I’ve got a great deal of respect for Jon Gruden because knowing he had to pay me, he could have kept me there. He did right by me, and we both agreed to part ways,” Irvin said. “I think we were on two different pages, but it worked out for the best. I got to come home to Atlanta, and now I’m here with you guys.

“It worked out how it was supposed to.”