Peter King Offers Predictions for 2020 Vikings

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
oul4prrwbn7tocggzxoc

6. Hand in hand

Those tasked with covering opponents can get a big help from a good pass rush, which generations of Vikings fans have observed over decades.

The seventh decade in franchise history has a new look up front.

Sure, pass-rush prodigy Danielle Hunter is returning after back-to-back seasons with 14.5 sacks, but longtime veteran Everson Griffen opted to void his contract and become a free agent. He remains unsigned.

"The one other thing about the Vikings that I wonder about ... I'm going to be interested to see what happens now with Danielle Hunter with or without Everson Griffen," King said. "I've always thought Everson Griffen is potentially such a difference maker in almost every game he plays."

7. The effects of expanded playoffs

Heading into Week 17 of the 2019 season, the Vikings were locked in at the No. 6 seed in the NFC.

Zimmer deliberated which starters should play and how much, opting to rest most in a decision that may or may not have helped Minnesota upset New Orleans as a road underdog in the Wild Card round.

The playoffs have now been expanded by one slot for the NFC and AFC in 2020. Rather than earning a bye and hosting a Divisional game (like the 2017 Vikings did), the No. 2 seed in each conference will now host the No. 7 seed in the opening weekend of the playoffs.

Aside from adding an extra bonus to being the No. 1 seed, what does King think the expansion will cause?

"I think there's a better chance that every team is going to have to play 16 games than maybe two or three teams saying, 'Well, we're locked in to where we are, so we don't have to play in Week 17,' " King said. "One of the other really interesting things is over the years, obviously teams want that No. 1 seed, but in essence, if they already have one of those two seeds clinched, most coaches are going to lean toward resting a few players if these coaches can. I think that's probably going to change. You're probably going to see more meaningful football played in Week 17."

Sounds great, except for the No. 2 seeds.