Post-Injury, Robert Alford Patiently Planning Return To Field

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
gs8i3zrrpo3n46ttyjrq

Despite an inability to practice since mid-training camp, Alford said defensive coordinator Vance Joseph's playbook is "second nature to me now."

"I didn't want the injury to make me feel like I wasn't part of the team," Alford said.

It's easy to feel disconnected now, with the coronavirus preventing players to gather at the team facility in Arizona. But Alford simply repeats his message of optimism and determination to ready himself for whenever the players can get back together.

The rookies can't get valuable on-field reps? Study harder and pick the brains of your veteran teammates. The chance there could be games where fans aren't there to provide energy? You have to find that within. "I come from a small school, there weren't hardly that many fans in the stands anyway," said Alford, who went to Southeastern Louisiana.

The Cardinals looked at the secondary this year with a status-quo approach. Patrick Peterson is still in place as the No. 1 cornerback. Alford, who turns 32 in November, will be his No. 2, with Byron Murphy playing the slot. Then again, that was the plan at this time last year, until Peterson's suspension came to light, Alford broke his leg and it all took a harsh turn.

The expectations will be high for Peterson after he played well at the end of the season. They will be high for Murphy, the 2019 second-round pick, as well.

Alford has been more under-the-radar, his presence dimmed by a lost year.

"I always use stuff like that. I hear a lot of chatter, but at the end of the day I'm self-motivated," Alford said. "All I do is take advantage of each and every day … I'm very confident in what I'm bringing to the team.

"I always play with a chip on my shoulder and that will never leave me."

Continue reading...