Postgame Perspective: Bears move into first place with impressive road win

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
i4vxrjampnjfn8lfybc0

"It's hard to explain the feeling that we have in this locker room, the 5-1 [record] for our team right now," Nagy said. "That's not easy to do. I told our guys that we're fighters. We have a bunch of fighters on this team, guys that fight to the end in all three phases. Can we be better on offense? Absolutely. But our defense and our special teams, I thought, really played well and put us in great situations."

The three takeaways by the Bears defense were a season high. The final one preserved the win as safety DeAndre Houston-Carson produced a late game-saving play for the second straight week, registering his first career interception on a Teddy Bridgewater pass with 1:28 remaining.

In addition, the NFL's No. 1 red-zone defense forced the Panthers to twice settle for field goals in the first half after Carolina had first-and-goal at the 7 and 3.

"Our defense is showing all year long why they're consistently good in the red zone," Nagy said. "That's a good football team on offense that's well-coached, so I was really happy with that part. They flipped the field for the offense and just as a unit on defense, it was a fun one."

The Bears offense, meanwhile, scored two touchdowns and converted 7-of-14 third-down plays. But the unit was limited to 261 total yards, including just 63 on the ground on 25 carries, an average of 2.5 yards per attempt.

"I think sometimes in this world it's really easy to say, 'Man, we're just looking for 50 points a game and [to] get the run game going,' and we need to, trust me," Nagy said. "It's hard right now and we're trying to figure out that 'why' part. We've got to fix it, and we've just got to keep working.

"The good thing is that we're 5-1, and when we do get this thing clicking, it's going to be a lot of fun. We're doing enough right now to get the wins, and I refuse to take away the excitement that we have as a team right now in that locker room."