Presser Points: Zimmer Assesses Newcomers After OTAs

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
fbk0rojjztpyk8qoakgx

1. Rhodes returning to form

Earlier this offseason, Zimmer told media members that Xavier Rhodes “needs to play better” and took responsibility for the Pro Bowl cornerback getting back to form after a season in which he dealt with some nagging injuries.

“I’m going to make sure that he plays better, because those guys (Rhodes and Trae Waynes) are important in our defense and what we do,” Zimmer said at the Annual League Meeting in March. “That’s going to be part of it. It’s partly my job to make sure that he plays better, and I’m going to do it.”

Zimmer was asked about Rhodes’ performance so far, and he said he’s “doing better.”

You know, getting back to the technical things about his game, what he has to do. We talked during the offseason about things he needs to continue to work at, and we’re helping him do that, and he’s been a really good student and doing what we’re asking him to do.

2. Thoughts on Taylor

The Vikings have several new faces in the wide receiver room, including Jordan Taylor, who had 29 catches over two seasons with the Broncos.

“He’s a guy that’s got good height, catches the ball well, I think he’s been running good routes, his acceleration out of the cuts has been nice,” Zimmer said.

Taylor, who returned 11 punts for a total of 103 yards (9.4 average) in 2017 for Denver, had a few reps at the post on Wednesday.

Responding to a comment about the 6-foot-5 Taylor not looking like a “typical punt returner,” Zimmer said, “You know, [Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor Gary Kubiak] thought he was a good football player. So that was the connection there.”