Presser Points: Zimmer on ‘Vision’ for Defense, Depth at Tackle

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
w3azldbbtvd7bc9uxgyy

3. No joint practice this year

The Vikings hosted the Jaguars for two days of joint practices before meeting in the 2018 preseason.

Both teams were flying high coming off appearances in their respective conference title games and got in some quality work, but both teams had disappointing seasons.

It was the second time since Zimmer’s hire that the Vikings have had a joint practice. The other time was 2016 before Minnesota played at Cincinnati, which is near his Zimmer Ridge Ranch in Northern Kentucky.

Zimmer was asked about not having a joint session this year.

“I thought about it,” Zimmer said. “I had one team call me, and I thought about doing it with them, but sometimes it’s good to just get in and get with your own guys, try to become a team and build unity and chemistry, work at our tempo, at our pace and not worry about … catering to them, I guess. Depending on the team, I might do it. If it’s in Cincinnati, because the ranch is there.”

4. Roster reductions later this month

The last day of this month will be the last day in a locker room for players with several teams around the NFL.

Teams must reduce their rosters from the current limit of 90 to 53 on Aug. 31.

Even though only two teams have suited up for a preseason game (Broncos and Falcons), roster projections are always fodder around the water coolers.

Zimmer was asked about the potential combination of receivers and tight ends. There are 11 receivers in camp and six tight ends. He said the decision will “go down to the last part.”

“Rick and I sit down, and we talk about, ‘Maybe we’ll keep five tight ends or six backs,’ or whatever it is,” Zimmer said “It always changes, but we talk about it and kind of see where we’re at. It changes. I’ve had a lot of questions lately about the last preseason game, but I’ve seen several guys make the team that you didn’t think were gonna make the team because of how they played in the last preseason game. And injuries happen. A lot of different things can happen.”