Presser Points: Zimmer Reflects on Cowboys Loss, Misses by Defense

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pipel7j97zcpfywf1sec

"Sometimes with young guys, when they start thinking they're pretty good – 'Hey, I'm going to go do this, I'm going to go make this play' – instead of sticking to the things in the defense that you're supposed to do … think that showed up a few times yesterday," Zimmer added. "More than a few times, actually."

That was apparently evident on Dallas' game-winning touchdown pass, a 2-yard score that found Cowboys tight end Dalton Schultz all alone in the end zone.

"Well, we're in man-to-man and [CeeDee Lamb] went in rocket motion," Zimmer said. "[Our] guy came off of [Schultz] trying to help another guy."

2. More troubles on special teams

Minnesota's special teams units had their third straight week of uneven play, as that group was hampered by penalties and poor punt coverage.

On Sunday, the Cowboys had four drives start at their own 39-yard line or better.

Dallas opened its second possession at the Vikings 30 after a Kirk Cousins fumble. The Cowboys later started drives at their own 48 after a punt return and a penalty, and at the Vikings 48 after a fumble by Dalvin Cook.

The Cowboys final drive began at their own 39 after a 20-yard punt return by Lamb, leaving Dallas just 61 yards away from the go-ahead score.

"All year long I've been preaching field position," Zimmer said. "They got the ball once on the 30-yard line, once on the minus-48, one on the plus-48.

"You have to be able to play the field position game better than we're playing it," Zimmer added.

Kris Boyd was whistled for the aforementioned penalty, which was a block in the back despite the fact the Vikings second-year cornerback was covering a punt.

Boyd was flagged for an illegal shift on the previous snap, wiping out what would have been a successful pass from punter Britton Colquitt.