Presser Points: Zimmer & Team Excited to Have Danielle Hunter Back

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
hca3hjdoqzlczd3mzfdi

4. Barr, Kendricks and … ?

Similar to the above point, Minnesota's top two linebackers in Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks are safely set in stone.

But there looks to be some competition at the third linebacker for the Vikings base package.

That role previously had been more or a run-stop focus, but has the position need changed as the NFL's passing game has evolved?

"I think one of the big things is, all these linebackers have to run these days. The two-down middle linebackers are, like dinosaurs, extinct – so all these guys have to be good in the passing game and in the run game," Zimmer said. "Quite honestly, the number of base-defense plays that you have is way down compared to what it used to be. But Nick Vigil's done a nice job, Blake Lynch, Troy Dye. We've got a lot of competition at linebacker, as well, I think. [Tuf] Borland's done a nice job.

"The more that these guys continue to go and add to the depth of our linebacker spot, I think it's going to be really good for the special teams, as well," he added. "One of the things I feel like we've really done, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is we've added a lot of competition at, really, all the spots. And I think competition makes you all better."

5. Vaccine education efforts continue

Zimmer was asked about the team's continued efforts to educate players on their options for vaccines to protect against COVID-19.

He said the team's approach has been trying to deliver all of the available information about the vaccines, as well as remind players that numerous protocols implemented in 2020 will remain in place for unvaccinated players in 2021.

"Today we had a team meeting with Dr. Allen Sills, who is the Chief Medical Officer for the NFL, and he talked to them a lot about the vaccine, how safe it is, how it became tested," Zimmer said. "He talked to them about what the protocols will be next fall, which we should be hearing in the next couple of days. He talked to them about why they should, and even if they've had COVID, why they should still get vaccinated, because the antibodies of once you get COVID and then get vaccinated, your antibodies are way off the charts, so you're going to be safer if it comes back again.

"We're just trying to educate these guys. They have to make their own decisions," Zimmer added. "The unvaccinated players are going to have a harder time in the season. They're going to be wearing masks; they'll have to social distance. They'll have daily testing. They won't be able to go home for bye week. They'll have to come back here and test every day.

"When we go on the road, they won't be able to go out to dinner with anybody. They'll have to travel on buses differently, travel on planes differently, so the meetings will be, a lot of the meetings will be virtual, like this is here, so there's not only the safety part of being vaccinated, but as far as being part of a football team, it's going to be so much easier," Zimmer continued. "Like me, for instance, I don't have to wear a mask. We had a staff meeting the other day with everybody in the same room. We can sit there and talk as opposed to doing it like we're doing [this media session] here. I know you guys know I don't really like doing all of the media stuff, but I'd much rather be sitting in the room talking to you, rather than looking up at this camera and then looking down at you."