Prince Amukamara Adds To Cardinals' Cornerback Options

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
upokx5sfrhuhrzoivvts

PHILLIPS EXPECTED TO ATTEND FATHER'S FUNERAL AND STILL PLAY​

Defensive tackle Jordan Phillips was worried that the NFL was going to force him to choose between playing against the Cowboys on Monday night or attending his father's funeral on Saturday.

However, he Tweeted that owner Michael Bidwill and the Cardinals have helped rectify the situation, which defensive coordinator Vance Joseph confirmed.

"He didn't want to choose between going to his dad's service and playing a football game," Joseph said. "I think we solved it, and it was the right thing to do for the kid. He wants to go see his family Saturday and play the football game on Monday. In my mind he was going to play the game, but I'm happy we solved it so he can do both."

THOMPSON AVAILABILITY UP IN THE AIR FOR MONDAY​

Safety Jalen Thompson (ankle) has been designated to return from injured reserve, but the Cardinals don't have to activate him this week if he isn't ready to play. Joseph is not yet sure if he will be active against Dallas.

"He's been out for a couple weeks, so it takes time to feel your way back into it from a schematic standpoint," Joseph said. "Physically, he looked OK. We'll see how it goes with Jalen. He's back at practice, and if he's ready to go, he'll go. If not, we'll push it back one week."

Safety Chris Banjo (hamstring), who has missed the past two games, practiced fully on Thursday, as the Cardinals are much healthier at the position than they were a couple weeks ago.

The same cannot be said at outside linebacker, as Kylie Fitts (hamstring) and Dennis Gardeck (foot) did not practice and Devon Kennard (calf) was limited. Chandler Jones was placed on injured reserve Thursday, and the team signed outside linebacker Isaiah Irving from Denver's practice squad to replace him.

Guard J.R. Sweezy (elbow) and defensive lineman Rashard Lawrence (calf) also did not practice for the Cardinals.

For the Cowboys, defensive end Everson Griffen (not injury-related) did not practice. Pro Bowl linebacker Leighton Vander Esch reportedly practiced in full and seems on track to play for the first time since breaking his collarbone in the opener against the Rams.

Continue reading...