QB Jeff Driskel prepared to help Drew Lock, Broncos win games

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
wxgvx4mzktqhdtigvmeh

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Not long after Jeff Driskel agreed to terms to become the Broncos' backup quarterback, his phone lit up.

Drew Lock, the team's starter, contacted Driskel almost immediately to welcome the fourth-year player to Denver and to the Broncos' quarterback room.

"He actually reached out to me right when I had signed, which I thought was really classy and just a really cool icebreaker to get to know each other just a little bit, as much as you can over the phone or text," Driskel said via conference call Thursday.

The team's playbook? That took longer to arrive, as Driskel had to officially finalize his two-year contract before the Broncos could send over hard copy of Pat Shurmur's offense.

The playbook arrived via FedEx, though, and Driskel now has plenty of time to learn the system and help Lock get ready for the 2020 season.

"There's going to be a big learning curve," Driskel said. "I've got a lot to learn, but I'll have a lot of time to study, and I've had to learn a bunch of offenses over the course of my football career. I'm no rookie when it comes to learning a new system. It'll just be in a different environment this year."

Driskel, of course, was referring to the uncertain start to the NFL's offseason program because of the novel coronavirus. The NFL previously announced that offseason programs were delayed indefinitely. The Broncos were previously eligible to begin their workouts on April 20.

"Hopefully we can get out to Denver all together and go through some type of offseason program, but we're just not really sure how that's going to work this year," Driskel said.

When he does arrive in Denver, Driskel said he hopes to help Lock by any means necessary and bring a "healthy, competitive spirit" to the quarterback room.

"I don't know much about him except I've seen him play a few times, and I know he's a really good player with a lot of upside, and I'm looking forward to working with him and helping him out in any way I can," Driskel said. "Not just helping him, but helping all my teammates and doing whatever I can to help our organization win games."

Lock finished his rookie season 4-1 as a starter after spending most of the season on injured reserve with a thumb injury.