Quick Hits: Bears coordinators have their say

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xz9zwahrnbx5nt3gmajo

Under center a possibility: With the Bears finding intermittent success against the Lions on offense, particularly in the passing game, offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich is weighing the different looks and styles that could play to the strengths of quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, while helping him to improve his technique.

"It just comes down to feet and eyes," said Helfrich. "You know, we've talked about it a thousand times of just the footwork, and the timing of the quarterback solves every problem. It takes you to your rhythm of decision making. It's going to lead to better ball placement."

One notable possibility, especially in light of a few off-target snaps out of shotgun on Sunday, is putting Trubisky under center more often.

"It's a different set of plays, footwork, timing, just the types of plays are slightly different," said Helfrich. "We're pretty versatile in terms of what we're able to do from the gun, but traditionally, those are your biggest differences."

Coach Matt Nagy said that he was open to going under center more and that the more traditional offense can help quarterbacks calm their feet in the pocket. There are a few tradeoffs, though.

"If you're in a gun, you're taking less steps because you're in the gun versus under center," said Nagy, "but then some of the negatives to that, too, is because you can't see as much because you are under center, so sometimes on play-actions you're turning your back to the defense. So there's a comfortability with that. I think there's positives to both."

Breaking down missed extra-point: Kicker Eddy Piñeiro missed an extra-point for the first time this season against the Lions. The first-year kicker had made his first 15 attempts.

Special teams coordinator Chris Tabor said that wind was not an issue.

"He actually hit a straight ball," said Tabor. "I just thought his line wasn't good on that one. Came back next and obviously put it right down the middle, so that was just an adjustment. Same type of ball, rotation, straight as can be. Obviously, he wants that one back, and we expect him to make those."

Piñeiro has been reasonably accurate this season, ranking 16th in the NFL in field-goal percentage, though questions remain about how the Florida native will adjust to kicking in Chicago winter conditions. Tabor is confident that Piñeiro's work ethic will see him through.

"I think his process has been real good," said Tabor. "It's a day-to-day process, and that's why I feel confident in answering it like that. Obviously we don't want to miss any, that's our goal. I know that there's going to be some. But with regards to coming back, finding his line, and it's a matter of hitting your line. I think we can keep improving there, and that's what we'll work on today."