Quick hits: Bears return to Halas Hall, kickers stay even

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xwf7fizgl4nkcbadoeru

Neck-and-neck: The Bears’ kicking competition remained in a virtual deadlock Tuesday as Eddy Pineiro and Elliott Fry both made all but two of their field-goal attempts in practice.

“They have been even,” Nagy said. “I think they both missed two kicks today. It’s rare that kickers make every single kick that they take. But there’s a balance; you have to understand that. The preseason is going to be a time for us to really evaluate those kicks and weight them.”

Feeling punchy: After receiver Javon Wims and cornerback Prince Amukamara squared off in the first fight of training camp Tuesday, Nagy jokingly blamed reporters.

“I’m 100 percent putting it on y’all because you jinxed it,” Nagy said. “The last time we were together [Sunday], you guys said, ‘No fights.’ Then on top of that we have two of the friendliest people on the team. They’re competitors. But I wasn’t real worried about it.”

Wims was the only one who threw punches in the altercation. The two were separated and quickly put the incident behind them by shaking hands.

“I got an education in teaching; I should have it in psychology,” Nagy said. “They came out and we just talked: ‘Tell me your side, tell me your side, and how do we fix it?’”

Roster move: The Bears on Tuesday waived undrafted rookie receiver Emanuel Hall.

“A lot of times it comes down to numbers,” Nagy said. “He’s done a good job with us. We appreciate everything that he did, but that’s just a part of the business.”