Rashan Gary embraces his place in Packers’ locker room

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kf4bjm9lsyiu9fkwylrr

Fittingly, Gary’s locker is sandwiched between the two veterans and located just a few spots down from Kyler Fackrell, who led Green Bay with 10½ sacks in 2018.

“That’s a lot of knowledge that came with it to soak in,” Gary said. “It’s a blessing to be here, and just having two veterans like that that’s been in the game and been in big-time situations and know what I need to do and take my game to the next level, those two guys are the best to look up to and find ways and pull everything that they’re giving me out of them.”

This past week has been emotional for Gary and his family. A native of Plainfield, N.J., Gary battled dyslexia as a child. Diagnosed in seventh grade, Gary went on to become a two-time academic All-Big Ten honoree during his time in Ann Arbor.

Gary enrolled as a junior entrant in the NFL Draft after recording 137 tackles and 10½ sacks at Michigan. He hopes to build his own sports agency, a goal meant to ensure his family’s long-term financial security.

The first contract is already taken care of. Gary and fellow first-round pick Darnell Savage were among the six rookie draft picks who signed with the Packers on Friday.

Gary is ready to get to work. He knows he’ll face criticism at times as a top pick, but doesn’t concern himself with it. Like any other rookie in the Packers’ eight-player draft class, Gary’s sole focus is to get better each day.

“At the end of the day, we’re all in the same locker room together, we’ve all got the same goals, and that’s to win the Super Bowl,” Gary said. “So the whole class that got drafted, free agents, things like that, we’re all on the same page and we’re all pushing each other to be great.”