Ready For His Moment, Chase Edmonds Excels Against Seahawks

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
uy7akfyflvd0phl85iba

Chase Edmonds knew he would enter the season as Kenyan Drake's backup, but the Cardinals running back never trained like it.

That way, when the team needed him most – say, in the fourth quarter and overtime of the biggest game of the season – Edmonds would be ready.

And he was.

The Cardinals lost Drake to an ankle injury late in Sunday's 37-34 overtime win, but Edmonds stepped in and made huge play after huge play. He finished the contest with seven catches for 87 yards along with five carries for 58 yards.

Edmonds had a 12-yard run with 17 seconds left in the fourth quarter to set up Zane Gonzalez's game-tying field goal, then ripped off 32- and 9-yard runs in overtime.

"It's a testament to my hard work," Edmonds said. "I busted my ass this offseason, truly. From before COVID even started, I kept working every single day. Me, (Christian) Kirk and Trent (Sherfield) were working behind closed doors. You work like that for opportunities like this."

There was no immediate update on Drake, who was injured after picking up a fourth-and-1 late in the fourth quarter. He limped off the field with the help of trainers and then was carted to the locker room.

Edmonds was a sparkplug as the No. 2 option at running back and now could be a focal point of the offense if Drake misses time. Edmonds is averaging 6.1 yards per carry this season after Sunday's impressive showing, and is a run-after-catch weapon in the passing game.

"I'll be ready to answer the bell, whatever my role is," Edmonds said.

Continue reading...