Return To Outside Linebacker Could Give Chandler Jones A Boost

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
wc2xyu19lhqv3wpop1pb

The 29-year-old will be buoyed by the addition of Terrell Suggs, the veteran pass-rusher the Cardinals signed to a one-year deal in free agency. The Cardinals tied for fifth in the NFL with 49 sacks a season ago, but there was no clear-cut second weapon beyond Jones.

Even though Suggs will be 37 this season, he has 26 sacks over the past three years.

“No more double teams,” Jones said. “Someone with a big name like Terrell Suggs, it will be great for us. I’m excited to have him.”

Jones was bracing for a tussle regarding jersey No. 55 – Suggs wore it his whole career in Baltimore -- until he learned the new guy is fine with picking a different number.

“So I’m No. 55?” Jones said. “I didn’t know that. I thought he was going to reach out and give me a price or something. He’s giving me the number? That’s cool. There’s no fight about it.”

Jones had a wide smile throughout the two-hour assembly on Tuesday morning, helping preach the power of positivity to a room full of elementary school students.

He’s feeling similarly enthused about the Cardinals’ fortunes. Jones has been watching Broncos tape to get a sense of new defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and believes the scheme will utilize him well. He also received a glowing review of coach Kliff Kingsbury from Tom Brady, who has been teammates with both of them.

Jones said last year’s 3-13 showing is in the rearview mirror.

“Totally different team,” Jones said. “New coaches. New players. A lot of different faces and new positions. I’m excited to see what we have set for us. I think this is going to be good.”

Continue reading...