Rewind and Reflect: Cousins Studies Every Game of Career to Self-Scout

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
xukktict5mr7i0ozydv5

"I really felt that sentiment. When he said it, I was in college, but I understood what he meant," Cousins said. "And now going back and watching my career, I would echo that sentiment."

The hope is that Cousins' self-assessment helps the Vikings get back to the postseason after missing out with a disappointing 7-9 season in 2020.

Cousins was partially at fault for a slow 1-5 start as he had 11 total turnovers (including 10 interceptions) through the first six games. In the final 10, however, he took it up a notch with 24 touchdowns and just three picks, but Minnesota's playoff hopes fell short.

Cousins is now entering his fourth season in Minnesota, which is his sixth in a row with a different offensive play caller.

Klint Kubiak is now the Vikings offensive coordinator after being Cousins' quarterbacks coach the past two seasons. That familiarity, Cousins said, should help speed up the adjustment period heading into training camp.

"I've spent so much time with him in the quarterback room, and I'd like to think he really knows how I'm wired and what I like," Cousins said. "He's heard so much feedback the past couple years, and I think that certainly helps.

"It's been unique to look back six years and have six different play callers … I never would've thought that would've happened," Cousins added. "But I've been fortunate to have been in pretty similar systems for the most part over those six years and I think that's a blessing."

As he enters his 10th season in the NFL, Cousins said he'll be a mentor of sorts to the young quarterbacks on Minnesota's roster, a group that includes Jake Browning, Nate Stanley and 2021 third-rounder Kellen Mond.

"You're an open book, you're helpful and you're there and make yourself available," Cousins explained.

But for the first time in his career, Cousins really put the spotlight on himself this offseason, dissecting all 3,662 pass attempts, 190 touchdown throws and 84 interceptions through 109 games (104 starts).

If he can glean anything valuable out of those film sessions, the Vikings quarterback could be at his very best during a 2021 season that hopefully includes a postseason berth for the Vikings.

"I watched my whole career, plus a couple other offenses to see what they did the years they had a lot of success," Cousins said. "I do think that time looking at tape through the winter and the spring and even now … I do think it's helpful to see what has worked in the past and what I want to make as a staple for myself as I move forward. But then also, where do I need to improve?

"Evaluation certainly comes from your coaches day-in and day-out, but there also has to be an ability to self-evaluate," Cousins added. "You say, 'I like what I'm doing there, keep doing that.' Or, 'That's not good enough, I want to improve that.' Being self-led and being hard on yourself can really help as you watch the tape that you have put out there."