Rhule: Panthers prepared for training camp to start on July 28, have contingency plans for other scenarios

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
c2xykp660rbigidxgw3q

When coaches and players do return, Rhule is anticipating significant changes to where and how the players meet. That the Panthers work out of at Bank of America Stadium could help alleviate some spatial constraints.

Rhule mentioned the possibility of using the Club Level on the third floor as a meeting area. The team could also turn the entire first floor, including what they usually use as meeting rooms, into locker rooms.

"At the end of the day, whatever it takes," Rhule said. "I've learned now over the last couple months that I can meet really well virtually. So if that means guys practice and then they go home and we meet virtually, then we'll do that. If team meetings have to be broadcast in all the different position rooms, we're going to do that."

Rhule has been having conversations with team owner David Tepper about contingency plans for the pandemic for a while now. Those talks have included what happens if a player or coach tests positive for the virus and is unavailable for a game.

"Mr. Tepper had said that to me like three months ago. More like, as we were having conversations, you're going to have to think about do you quarantine a quarterback? Who calls the plays if (offensive coordinator) Joe (Brady) gets sick or (defensive coordinator) Phil (Snow gets sick)?" Rhule said. "So we have all along kind of said, 'Hey, let's figure out all these different things.'"

Like every other team, the pandemic shifted the Panthers' spring preparations for the upcoming season. But they had the added challenge of a new coaching staff, plus a large turnover of the roster.

While Rhule liked how Brady and Snow implemented their respective offensive and defensive systems with in-depth virtual sessions, Rhule admitted Carolina is behind in evaluating players on the field. Because of that, training camp practices have become even more critical.

"Every development has two sides — there's positive and negative. The negative, obviously, is we did not actually get in and start doing things, like start throwing the ball," Rhule said. "There's some natural gravitation one way or another when you see what guys' strengths are. So we might get to training camp and say we want to push more in this direction of the offense, push more in this direction of the defense as we get to know our people."

There is still much left for the NFL to decide to make meetings, practices, and games as safe as possible. So right now, Rhule's general message to his team is each individual should do what's right for him and his family.

In that vein, Rhule was asked what his reaction would be if a player wanted to sit out due to concerns about the virus, like Avery Bradley of the Lakers decided because he has an immunocompromised son.

"That's why my coaches aren't in the building right now. Go be with your family right now. We can work a lot over this (virtually)," Rhule said.

"I just think that the best way to be a good coach is to always put your players first. So if anybody has any concerns, No. 1, I'd do my best to alleviate them. No. 2, one thing I know is we have the right people at the Carolina Panthers who are trying to make sure that we're not just living up to the policies and the protocols, but we're doing a great job of making sure we are as safe and healthy as we can be. And then three, just always trying to make sure that if our players have issues, we try to help them. So I would always support my players in whatever they're doing that's right for their families."