Robison: Roller-Coaster ‘Miracle’ Game Summarizes 11-Year Career

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nnvhxnazosfgycl2px1k

Although he didn’t realize it at the time, the Divisional Round playoff game against the Saints would be Robison’s last non-exhibition game at U.S. Bank Stadium and penultimate of his career.

The defensive end was released prior to the 2018 season. On April 24, he signed a one-day contract to officially retire with the team that drafted him in 2007.

Robison finished his career having played 173 games for Minnesota, third-most in Vikings history by a defensive end. He was a part of four NFC North Division Championship teams and played in two NFC Championship games. In his last regular-season game, he grabbed his 60th and final career sack.

But looking back over his time in the NFL, it isn’t the stats – or even the team wins – that Robison most treasures. It’s not the practices, the road trips or even running through the tunnel at U.S. Bank Stadium that most causes an ache in his heart.

Rather, it’s the relationships.

“[General Manager Rick Spielman] told you all the accolades that I’ve gotten over the years, and all that’s fine and dandy,” Robison told media members. “But the thing that I’m going to miss the most is the people.”

He mentioned the coaches who have helped him develop on and off the field – “they’re not only the best coaches; they’re the best people” – and spoke highly of the teammates he had along the way, many of whom were in attendance Wednesday afternoon.

Robison named Kevin Williams, whom he called “probably the first guy who really taught me how to be a true professional.” He gestured toward the back of the room to former linebacker Chad Greenway, with whom he spent 10 seasons.

“I think Chad is the professional of all professionals – not only for the way he handled himself on the field but community-wise,” said Robison, who shared that Greenway was a major motivator for Robison to create his own charitable effort, the Reel ’Em In Foundation.

Robison thanked Everson Griffen for always pushing him to compete. He recalled the way Jared Allen took the time to pass along his defensive know-how, which Robison then paid forward when the Vikings drafted defensive end Danielle Hunter in 2015.

“I tried to teach Danielle everything I know. And what does he give me in appreciation? He takes my spot,” Robison quipped in direction of the soft-spoken Hunter. “Thanks for that, Danielle.”

Earlier in the day, Robison had spent time with Hall of Famer John Randle, who was the first Viking to sack Packers quarterback Brett Favre. Ironically, Robison became the final Viking to take down Favre in a Green Bay jersey, doing so as a rookie in 2007.

Randle and Robison, now both Vikings Legends, posed for a photo holding the one that had been inscribed by Favre himself: B-Rob, You lucky I tripped!!! LOL. Awesome teammate and heck of a player. All the best, Brett.