Rookie Diaries: Jeremy Chinn making the most of working from home

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
hlou1roejpr5dfevizwi

Having veterans around in the virtual meetings also helped Chinn better understand things.

"Just listening to them in meetings and listening to how they ask questions, it helps me look at football from a bigger picture," Chinn said.

"We have tags and checks that we go into a game with, and actually understanding why we use these checks, and using them to our advantage and not just calling them because they're available to be called (is important)."

With all club facilities closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Chinn participated in the virtual offseason program from his family home outside Indianapolis. He got into a routine of working out twice a day on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — once in the morning and then again in the evenings following meetings — but kept it to one workout on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

That training is a significant deviation from what he was doing to prepare for the Combine in February.

"I was doing a lot of speed-specific things and really just working on testing," Chinn said. "Now, it's a lot more conditioning, just getting in football shape and not just in testing shape."

There are at least three weeks until Chinn and the rest of the Panthers' rookies are scheduled to report to Charlotte. And that would provide Chinn with another special moment in what's already been a very unusual first season.

"I was thinking about it the other day — when I got drafted, it was a surreal feeling. But nothing really changed as far as still living at home," Chinn said. "I think when I actually move down to Charlotte, it'll probably feel like I got drafted all over again because it'll actually come full circle and I'll settle in."