Rookie Diaries: Lloyd Cushenberry III provides an inside look at the game-winning drive vs. the Chargers

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
cbwsavnqke3lmehpks01

In the huddle, everybody was just saying, 'Let's go win the game.' There was no big-time speech or anything. Just win. That's it. That's all we had to do. We were just communicating with each other. It was nothing too special or special speech or anything. Everybody had their mindset of let's go win. It's what we do. That's why we're here. Like KJ [Hamler] said after the game, this is where legends are made. So let's go do it."

On the fourth-down throw to Albert O. [Okwuegbunam], when I saw him in the air, I thought he caught it and then the ball came out late. And then I saw the flag come out and I was like, 'That's what we needed.'

Once I saw the flag and knew we were going to be at the 1-yard line, my mind instantly went to the Tennessee game when we didn't convert on the goal line. It went to the New England game when we couldn't convert down there. I told the guys, 'This is where we make up for it. We've got to get this right now. We're right here. We made it all the way this far, we might as well finish it.' That was definitely redemption to score down there.

On the touchdown, I could see the whole play, because the way we were protecting, we were sliding that way anyway. Once my guy kind of freed up when the play was all the way to the right, I thought Drew was going to run it in, and then I saw the defender coming to him and KJ slipped out. I was like, 'That's a touchdown. You've got to give it to him.' The referees were talking and I was waiting for that signal, and after that we've got everybody running on the field. I'm trying to tell people to get off the field, we've still got to kick the extra point. That was a crazy moment. It seemed like everybody was on the field at that point.

For Coach [Vic] Fangio to give us all a game ball, that was special. Like he said after the game, it's a team thing. It's a game ball for the entire team, and everybody throughout the week put in work. It's a special moment for all of us to enjoy. It just goes to show that when you work hard throughout the week and execute in practice and focus on the little things in practice, good things will happen. That's what I think about all the time. If I just do the right things, practice hard, show up early, write notes in the meetings, I like to think that the football gods will bless us. And they definitely did Sunday.

I'm sure it was killing Coach [Mike] Munchak not to be there, and he was probably watching on his couch yelling at his TV. We definitely wanted to get a win for him, and we can't wait for him to get back and tell us about all the things we did wrong. We definitely wanted to get it for him.

Now, we've got to watch the film, learn some things that we did in the first half that we've got to fix and move onto Atlanta. They're a good team, they've got some good guys on defense, so it's a big test for us, big game on the road and it'll be huge for us to get to .500 and be in a good position moving forward.

It feels great just to get a win, though. It's a good division win, and it's a historic comeback. It's great to be a part of it. We're going to try to keep building on it.