Rookie Epps Impressing at Safety & Nickel Corner in Vikings Secondary

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
tvk4j8tnfpuxnokboixc

But this is his first time playing both at the same time, meaning he’s doing a bit of a juggling act.

“I haven’t really been keeping track … I just go in wherever my coaches tell me to go in,” Epps said. “It’s been good to be able to get reps at both spots. I’m just trying to get better at each one and prove my worth and show I can get better all over the field.”

“I feel pretty good at both. When I had a position change like last year, I just worked at it and became more comfortable at nickel,” Epps added. “Now it feels like I’m used to it.”

Epps had a quite the journey in college, as he went from walk-on to three-time team captain for Wyoming. He tallied 325 tackles (215 solo), nine interceptions returned for 211 yards and a touchdown, 2.0 sacks, 19.5 tackles for loss and 22 passes broken up in four seasons with the Cowboys.

Epps said his biggest focus these days has been mastering Minnesota’s defensive playbook, but he admitted there is a little difference in having to know the ins and outs of two different positions.

“Nickel, you’re playing more underneath coverage, more man. Safety, you’re playing more over the top,” Epps said. “There are certain areas where it’s similar and nickels and safeties end up doing the same thing, but it’s different with some things and similar in others.”

Epps and the rest of his teammates will wrap up OTA practices this week before a trio of mandatory minicamp sessions next week.

He will then prep for his first training camp, where he’ll look to continue to impress at multiple positions in Minnesota’s secondary.

“I feel like I just got here but these last few weeks have flown by. It’s been a good couple weeks, getting used to the playbook and the flow of the game up here,” Epps said. “I feel like I’ve been improving. That’s my goal, to just get better every day.

“You never want to get complacent, especially as a rookie,” Epps added. “You always want to continue to improve each and every day so you can get better and build that trust with your coaches and teammates.”

So far, so good for Epps.