Rookie TE Smith Focused on Being Well-Rounded Asset on Offense

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nlekg65bnygsnoutsegy

When Smith does get his chance in the passing game, he has proven to be a big-play threat.

Of Smith’s 58 total catches over the past two seasons with the Crimson Tide, he tallied 14 explosive plays of 20-plus yards, including three touchdowns.

“I feel like I’m a big mismatch on the field,” Smith said. “They have me all over the place — in-line, out wide, in the slot — so I feel like I can move around and make an impact on the field and definitely bring that to the table.”

Smith was one of 37 players who reported to Verizon Vikings Training Camp on Monday, and then went through three practices over the past three days at Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center.

The extra sessions gave the 20-year-old time to work on his craft, while getting an early taste of what life is like at an NFL training camp.

He was also able to connect with Minnesota’s group of quarterbacks — including starter Kirk Cousins — to try and continue to build rapport with that group.

All the quarterbacks were here, so me being a tight end, I need to have a great relationship with them … Kirk and the other guys,” Smith said. “I’m just trying to be attentive and have a good relationship with them. Just trying to do that and then get in the playbook.”

That playbook includes more than just passing plays, but Smith said he’s up to the task to become the most-well-rounded player possible in his rookie season.

“Finally getting here after having the little break, I’m ready to get back to work,” Smith said. “It’s grind time.”