Rookies Drew Inspiration from Vikings Long Before Draft

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
cnttrzkitnzntxcdtry7

EAGAN, Minn. — Kris Boyd was trying to keep his emotions in check.

The seventh-round cornerback, along with the 11 other Vikings 2019 draft picks, sat down with Vikings.com for interviews last week before the start of rookie minicamp.

When the topic of current Vikings players came up, Boyd immediately rattled off the name of a player he couldn’t wait to work with.

But it wasn’t the chance to go against Adam Thielen or Stefon Diggs that most excited Boyd, or the chance to join forces again with college teammate Holton Hill.

Instead, Boyd went into a lengthy answer about Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes, the man who was the source of his emotions on draft night.

“See, I was crying when I got drafted. It was a dream come true,” Boyd said. “I might cry now, you asking me this question, because it was Xavier. I usually don’t watch NFL players and say, ‘I want to play like him’ or, ‘Oh, I like his game.’

“They would ask me that when I was at the Senior Bowl, and I didn’t have nobody to say except Xavier,” Boy added. “Growing up, when I saw Xavier play, I was like, ‘Oh, he’s different. He’s different. I like him.’”

Boyd then explained what he likes about Rhodes, a two-time Pro Bowler with 10 career interceptions who was an All-Pro at two different positions in 2017.

“His physicality. That’s it,” Boyd said. “He’s big, strong, he’s going to cover you, and he’s going to get physical with you.

“And he puts that on film. I love it,” Boyd added. “That’s what you gotta do. That’s what you gotta be to be a corner – physical.”

Boyd wasn’t the only defensive player to gush about the chance to play with established Vikings.