Sacco Sez: Deciding the top 100 players in Broncos history

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
xdkolqdtqe6fgb6r0oh4

The 2019 season is shaping up to be a great year for pro football and the Denver Broncos.

This is the 100th anniversary of the National Football League and the 60th anniversary of the Denver Broncos and the other original American Football League teams.

It is also the 50th consecutive year of home sellouts for the Broncos, and our great and beloved team owner Pat Bowlen this summer will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Mr. B. would always say the game revolves around the players, and with that in mind the Broncos are helping celebrate the NFL's 100th year by naming our Broncos Top 100 team.

On the weekend of Oct. 13, when Pat Bowlen and Champ Bailey are to be honored in Denver with the presentation of their Hall of Fame rings, select members of the Broncos Top 100 Team will participate as well.

Most important is that our great fans get a chance to participate online by voting for (or writing in) the players that they consider to be among our top 100.

I am honored to have a role in this selection process, along with Broncos alumni and Senior Digital Reporter Andrew Mason.

The fan voting will continue through the month of May, and I strongly encourage all our fans to participate.

No team can truly exist without its fans, and the greatest of teams have the greatest fans. Really, that is true.

We could not do this without you, and every name submitted will be considered.

The concept of a top 100 brings up some very interesting thoughts, none of which are wrong.

Does a top 100 guy have to play 10 years? Or five years? Or less?

The answer is that any of those is a possibility.

Greatness is measured by performance, what we see on the field, and we all know it when we see it. I personally do not think there is a requirement regarding number of seasons played, just so someone has done enough on the field to be considered one of our greatest ever.

We all know some players are obvious, like Hall of Famers John Elway, Floyd Little and Shannon Sharpe.

Ring of Famers are obvious choices, but what about the likes of so many who have contributed to our championships, from Super Bowl winners to conference and division champion contributors.

We have had well over 1,000 players suit up as members of the Broncos, and every era and decade has had its greats.

Our fans have watched them all, some fans going back to the first years of play and some perhaps having moved to Denver in the last few years.

It does not matter. Every fan has his or her opinion and we want to hear from all of you.

I could name a lot of players that I think are great candidates, as I have seen every player who has played for us, but I think it very important that I not prejudice the voting by suggesting that I might favor one over another.

But you have watched them too. And whether you watch in person or on television, it all counts and so does your opinion.

The voting is online so it does not require postage, just having opinions about your favorites and typing a few strokes on your laptop.

A lot of times when players are talking about hustle and game attitude, they say they make sure they put everything they have onto the field that day.

This is what I want our fans to do as well.

Do not leave your opinions on our greatest players in your minds. Go on line and tell up who you think belongs. These will be very tough choices, and we really want your input in selecting our Broncos Top 100 team.

To vote, click here.