Sacco Sez: Training camp, then and now

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
tk0r93chfkicemb2mdst

The Denver Broncos are officially in their first week of the 2019 training camp, and it is obvious how impressive Head Coach Vic Fangio and quarterback Joe Flacco are carrying themselves.

There are many impressive young prospects, and the team does everything possible to make all conditions optimal, from the playing field through every medical aspect in question, so that each player can perform to his best in their hopes of making the team.

This is my 42nd Broncos training camp, and the conditions have changed dramatically over the years.

My first season was 1978, and the Broncos were coming off their first Super Bowl appearance.

Times were different, and Red Miller was an old-school coach.

Training camp was in Fort Collins and was a full month (or more) in length. The Dallas Cowboys, for example, flew back to their Thousand Oaks, California, camp after every preseason game (we called them exhibitions then), so they had at least six weeks of camp.

The Broncos were in full pads for every practice, twice a day, no exceptions or days off.

One of the highlights for observers (and less than that for players) early in camp was the Oklahoma drill.

Blocker and tackler in the box, with a back behind the blocker. The collisions were as live and hard as you can imagine.

I remember one time when Red was unhappy with how an offensive lineman was executing his block so he ordered the lineman out and got down there himself, no pads, just the head coach against a defensive lineman, in full pads.

A tough moment, and as I recall, Red held his own.

There was no water on the practice fields in those days, and it was just as hot in the summer then as it is now, plus every guy was in full pads, full contact.

But Coach Miller did have a popsicle break midway through every practice, and I can vouch for how thrilled the players were for the respite, the popsicles and the water contained in the treat.

Every player lived in the college dorms and there were bed checks every night.

I do recall that defensive end Lyle Alzado liked to go out after bed check, and he would make a point of squealing his tires when he pulled out of the parking lot.