Scott Studwell: A Life in Purple

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
oej58eclvrnfw2teazd9

Greenway’s heartfelt words likely summed up the thoughts of most within the organization.

Yes, Studwell is respected as a linebacker and a scout, but he is admired for the way he treats people.

When Studwell went on the road for this fall, he invited Kleine along for her first scouting trip. The duo evaluated players at Wisconsin, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Maryland and Purdue.

Always one to sprinkle some fun into the trip, Studwell made sure they caught a Chicago Cubs game and took some time to relax along the way.

Kleine said she cherishes the car rides and the conversations with Studwell, and noted how other scouts grew sentimental on his farewell tour.

At each school, regional scouts would voice their appreciation to Studwell for his friendship over the years. And before the linebackers ran the 40-yard dash at the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, the group on the field honored Studwell for his contributions to the game.

“We bonded so much and have gotten so close over the years. He’s really been like a dad to me,” said Kleine, her voice becoming emotional. “He’s a friend to every single person. Besides the fact of him being an incredible player and an incredible scout, he is a Minnesota Viking and exemplifies what a Viking is. I think more importantly, he’s just the most caring person in the entire world.

“He’ll call you and check on you and check on how your family is doing. If you are going through some things, he will call anybody and make time for them. He’s the best. I’ll miss that,” Kleine added. “His family is so blessed to have him, and I’m so glad they get to have more of him now because we’ve had him for all these years. He’s an unbelievable human being. So many people know him, and know him well. Everyone is going to miss him because of the person he is and the friend he is.”

Perhaps nobody showed more emotion about Studwell’s impending retirement than Spielman when the Vikings general manager publicly announced it on April 23.

Spielman struggled to contain himself and choked up numerous times at the podium. When he was done, he stepped to the side and embraced Studwell in a lengthy hug.

“The only thing I can say, Stud,” Spielman said, “is thank you for your guidance, your leadership, and probably the most important thing, thank you for your friendship.”

Paton and Studwell have been colleagues since 2006. The two hit it off instantly and are known to eat breakfast and lunch together every day if Studwell is in town.

And they stop by each other’s office multiple times a day to chat about football, family and their lives.

Paton explained how Studwell’s reach and impact stretches from interns to the Wilf family, and how he treats everyone the same.

“For the whole staff, everyone, he’s kind of the Pied Piper. I mean, when we used to go to Mankato … at night, everyone would all kind of be waiting for Stud,” Paton said. “When Stud had to go home for a night, everyone is just kind of walking around aimlessly. He’s The Pied Piper. We go to the Senior Bowl, and everyone follows Stud. Combine … Stud.”

When Studwell told his close co-workers midway through the 2018 season that he was stepping away in the spring, the vibe turned dark in the team facility.

“When he told Rob and I … it was kind of like death. You knew it was coming, but you don’t like talking about it. He told us, and we knew he was serious,” Paton said. “For the rest of the day, we were just in the tank because we knew what it meant.

“We’re happy for him, and it’s the right thing for him, but selfishly, we were kind are depressed. Still are,” Paton added. “This job is tough, and we’re here a lot of hours, up and down. But whenever you’re up, he’s the best to be around. And whenever you’re down, he’s the best to be around because he’ll bring you up.”