Seahawks GM will miss Scott Fitterer's expertise, but also his calm, steady approach

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
zic6deziccagyy8eqeuz

Schneider made Fitterer and Trent Kirchner co-directors, giving them equal authority. Fitterer's background is in college scouting, while Kirchner's is on the pro side. They're also different personalities, as Kirchner (who used to be a pro scout for the Panthers) can burn a little hot.

"Completely different individuals, which I love," Schneider said. "One guy's Tony Dungy and one guy's Jon Gruden.

"One guy is going to put the chew in and the pound the coffee and grind it, grind it, grind it. The other guy is going to feel his way through situations differently, ... just a different style."

Schneider acknowledges that putting Fitterer and Kirchner on equal footing may have hampered their career paths because outsiders don't know whether they're interviewing a guy who may be second on the totem pole, or third, or how much power and influence they actually have.

But he also thinks that Fitterer's "unflappable" personality helps make it work.

"These guys are included in everything, and that's what we pride ourselves on, having no walls," Schneider said. "'You're just a college guy, stay in your lane.' We don't do that.

"So whatever he wants to learn and grow about, he's been able to do that."

Now, Fitterer is on track to do just that, to evolve into a larger role in Carolina, one with responsibilities he's new to.

And when there's a small crack in the calm facade, Schneider can't help but laugh.

"He's already calling me this morning on budget stuff, and I'm like 'I don't know, dude, figure it out,'" Schneider said. "I'm super excited for him, he's going to do such a great job."