Shaq Thompson donates 2,000 meals to local healthcare workers

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
nyu4eipjhottcveqt2mu

"I got drafted here and they've opened their arms to me and my family," Thompson said. "And they've loved me ever since."

But more than that, Thompson noted that the death of his mother, Patty, in October had a lasting effect on him. He described his mother's spirit as generous, and she instilled that value within him.

"My mom was always big into giving back and taking care of people and stuff like that. I think that's one trait that I took from her before she passed," Thompson said. "That's where that comes from because she was loving and giving."

Thompson is currently in Charlotte, working to stay in shape while adhering to social distancing guidelines. He said he's been riding his Peloton for cardio while also mixing in a lot of push ups in addition to his resistance training. And he's looking forward to the day when he and his teammates will be able to gather at Bank of America Stadium with head coach Matt Rhule.

"I really like him," Thompson said. "I think he's going to do great for us. He's going to help us win some games, get this team back where we're supposed to be."

With so much roster turnover and a new coaching staff, Thompson anticipates he'll have an increased leadership role. And having learned what that should look like under former linebackers Thomas Davis and Luke Kuechly, Thompson is eager to embrace the challenge.

"From losing Thomas Davis then turning around and losing Luke Kuechly — and I'm like the last of that trio, of that group of three — I feel like there's a lot on my shoulders just trying to replace them because they were two great leaders on this team," Thompson said. "The standard in the 'backers room — like everybody counts on that room. And that's who people look to because that's what happened when we had TD and Luke — everybody looked towards them because they were the leaders."

"And for myself, I want to step up as a leader — let my voice be heard and my face be shown," Thompson added.

In many ways, that starts with what he's doing in the community for local healthcare workers. No, there isn't an in-person offseason program to begin right now with his teammates. But Thompson feels it's important to do what he can to uplift those who are helping save lives during this crisis.

"I'm doing it from my heart," Thompson said. "If you know me, you know I don't like a lot of lights on me a lot of fame and stuff like that. This is one of the first times I'm kind of expressing something out there. I just like to do stuff just straight out of the kindness of my heart."