Shelby Harris signs RFA tender; four other Broncos sign ERFA tenders

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ppg3ag0wiiwbc9rukmre

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Defensive lineman Shelby Harris has signed his restricted free-agent tender and will remain with the Broncos for the 2019 season, the team announced Tuesday.

The Broncos placed a second-round tender on Harris in March, which means if another team offered Harris a contract, the Broncos could have opted to match the deal. If Denver chose not to match the offer, the team would have received a second-round pick compensation.

Harris, who has spent the previous two seasons with the Broncos, recorded 1.5 sacks and 39 tackles in 2018. He snagged an interception in the end zone in the final minute of a Week 12 game against the Steelers to seal a win for the Broncos.

In 2017, Harris started six games and recorded 5.5 sacks and 34 tackles.

“I think he can play anywhere along the defensive line for us hopefully,” Head Coach Vic Fangio said about Harris in late March. “I think D-linemen are interchangeable. I think the days of a nose tackle and an end — to me, they’re all tackles. They play from lining up on this tackle all the way to that tackle and anywhere in between. They all have to react to the same type of blocking schemes and the same type of blocks to be able to pass rush. To me, they’re defensive linemen. Period. End of story.”

Exclusive rights free agents linebacker Joe Jones, offensive lineman Elijah Wilkinson, wide receiver Tim Patrick and safety Dymonte Thomas also signed their tenders on Monday.