Spielman Describes Vikings Trade Philosophy in 2019 NFL Draft

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
bmamyla0lsetjpgkvucw

The patience persisted as the Vikings crab-walked their way down the board, building draft capital in case they wanted to work their way back up the board on Saturday.

Such was the case in the fourth round, when Minnesota moved up six spots to select Oklahoma guard Dru Samia.

Spielman didn’t name specifics but he did say “there was another player that we tried to do it with, weren’t able to get it done, and so we went ahead and stood by our draft picks.”

In his pre-draft media availability on Tuesday, Spielman lauded the depth that the Vikings saw in this year’s prospects.

“Again, I thought it was a very deep class, and some of these players that we were able to get in the later rounds, we felt were going to be options for us as we come down and make the 53-man roster,” Spielman said in explaining why he didn’t package some late-round picks to move up a second time on Saturday.

Spielman also was asked if the Vikings received any calls from teams looking to acquire players already on the roster and said, “No, not really. I would say we didn’t.”

“Most of the calls were us either trying to move up or teams calling us for us to move back,” Spielman said. “But we had an opportunity, a couple opportunities to move back again, but I said, ‘We’re going to run out of players on our board. We should have enough to get what we need to get done.’ ”