Spielman, Vikings Creatively Navigating Reduced 2021 Salary Cap

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
bh5h2ulwlbn3vn7wkanr

For one, Rudolph's departure could be one of a few moves that help Minnesota get cap compliant by March 17.

But it also means that there could be a wave of other teams releasing players — just as the Vikings did with Rudolph — to get themselves under the $180 million figure, or wherever it finally lands.

"The other thing I'll mention quickly is that as we're watching this UFA process, it's going to be an interesting dynamic with players getting cut as well," Spielman said about the general state of the league. "There's already been some significant players cut, and I think there's going to be a very active market this year."

The flip side of that, however, is that not every team is swimming in cap space to snatch up prospective free agents. Players who are released could have to take cheaper and shorter contracts to navigate a reduced cap.

Spielman said the ensuing two weeks will be fascinating to watch, but he held off on describing the reduced cap as all doom and gloom.

"I don't want to call it devastating. There's a lot more things in the world that are devastating than the salary cap dropping," Spielman said. "I think it's that you have to be more creative.

"Whether you want to push some money into the future or whether you want to release guys," Spielman added. "There are teams that have a lot of salary cap room, and it may not affect them whatsoever. It's going to be up to each individual club how they interpret what devastating is."

Spielman said Wednesday that he will lean on his staff to help him work through such a peculiar offseason.

With former Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton now the GM in Denver, Spielman said other members of the personnel department such as Jamaal Stephenson, Ryan Monnens, Reed Burckhardt and Kelly Kleine have all taken on larger roles on the free agency process.