Starters Garett Bolles, Dalton Risner, Connor McGovern to 'play a few snaps' vs. Falcons

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
q7dva67l0jflpfp3llgk

THE FIRST TEST

At times on Thursday, Fangio may purposefully call plays that put certain players in difficult situations.

“For instance, if I’m pretty confident they might be throwing it, instead of maybe giving a corner some help, I might see if he can cover his guy,” Fangio said. “[Or] play a light box even when we think they might be running it [and] see if we can handle the run in a light box. Things like that.”

That philosophy extends to the offense, as well.

“Yeah, let’s see who can block a good pass rusher without chipping them,” Fangio said. “Even though they’ve got the box loaded, let’s see if we can run the ball up in there.”

FINDING HIS WAY

During nearly all of his 19 years as an NFL defensive coordinator, Fangio worked games from the coaching box.

As he begins his head-coaching career, Thursday’s game will serve as a way for him to test out coaching from the sideline.

“[I will] experiment with where the best place for me to stand is when we’re on defense,” Fangio said. “I’m going to try to get an end-zone view of it. I won’t be on the line of scrimmage starting off. I’m going to try to be back a little ways, one way or the other, so at least I’ve got somewhat of a wider view. We’ll see how that works.”

Defensive Coordinator Ed Donatell will also be on the sideline on Thursday, Fangio said.