Steve Smith Sr. has something to say

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
oyjtp6riq63gau2xmuye

"We joke around, he's never played sports beyond high school," Smith Sr. said of Zarzour. "He gives me a fan's perspective, and I give him the player's perspective. He's also very open, and open-minded. And that's always been key in our relationship and one of the things that linked us together. We can have that dialogue about what I see as a player and what he sees as a fan. That's always been one of the cool things about it.

"When I started doing radio with Taylor, and the reason I did any media stuff was because of Taylor. To be able to do this now with Taylor, a person I respect, a person I look at as a mentor in the media world, he's done games so he can guide me, so that's going to be cool."

Smith Sr.'s looking forward to learning how the game broadcast works, as his years of work at NFL Network have been in a much different role.

The detail-oriented part of Smith Sr.'s brain can't wait to explain the particulars that might come up in the second half of an August game, in which the score doesn't matter, but the individual plays can weigh heavily in the future of players trying to make the roster.

As a network analyst, he doesn't often have time to expound on football minutiae. Now, he's going to have a three-hour broadcast with Zarzour, allowing him to go deep into the team he used to play for.

"I enjoy elaborating and talking about ball and explaining ball," Smith Sr. said. "I struggle with that sometimes as an analyst, with the shorter segments we do, you don't really get to talk ball and Xs and Os. That's one of the things you fight as an analyst, you don't want to get too technical. . . .

"I know I need practice, this is my first time doing it, but I know ball. There are going to be little things I can discuss and talk about, and things I bring to the table that will be enjoyable. I can ask coaches questions they don't roll their eyes at, because I sort of already know why they're doing certain things, and what they need to see from players. So instead of asking broad questions, I can ask pointed and very narrow questions that can lead me to expound about it on the broadcast."

Smith Sr.'s clearly getting into this already. Which is good news, especially if you're a fan looking for a unique insight. It's probably only bad news if you're a cornerback who might be struggling, and eventually needs an ice pack.

Because Smith Sr. never forgets.